T-Town Top 10+
Things to do in Texarkana Jan. 14-20, 2
1. Martin Luther King Day Celebrations
- The African American Voice: Stepping Forward. Friday, Jan. 18. Presented by TRAHC’s African American Committee at the Regional Arts Center. Kick off the celebrations with an evening of performance under the organizational leadership of Dr. Teretha Harper and Vicki Parks.
- MLK Day Community Prayer Breakfast. Saturday, Jan. 19, 7-9 a.m. Lonoke Baptist Church, 1841 Lonoke Avenue, Texarkana, AR. This program honors the non-violence principles of Dr. King. $8 for adults and $5 youth. Learn more.
- 15th Annual Act of Kindness Presentation. Sunday, Jan. 20, 7 p.m. Twin City Event and Conference Center, 2101 Texas Boulevard, Texarkana, TX. Come help honor individuals, companies, and organizations from across the state lines of Arkansas and Texas. Learn more.
And don’t miss…
2. Monday, Jan. 14
TSO Chamber Music Series
A&M Texarkana, University Center. String/piano ensembles perform Borodin and Cesar Frank selections. FREE. Reservations not required. Learn more.
3. Monday, Jan. 14
Attracting Birds, Butterflies and Other Wildlife to Your Backyard
TAMU-T’s University Center, 6-8 p.m. Presented by Texas A&M University-Texarkana with Bowie County Master Gardeners. FREE. Open to the public. Reservations are not required. For more info: 903.223.3039 or 903.831.7494.
4. Tuesday, Jan. 15
TRAHC Presents Theatre for Young Audiences—Call of the Wild: Illustrated Edition
Perot Theatre. Jack London’s famous tale comes to life in a multi-media adventure mixing performance and storytelling with projected illustration to tell the story of Buck, the magnificent offspring of a St. Bernard and Scottish Collie who is kidnapped and sent to work as a sled dog during the great Klondike Gold Rush of the 1800s. For students and public from ages ten and up. Learn more.
5. Tuesday, Jan. 15
Community Screening of Recently Released Ruth Bader Ginsburg Biopic “On the Basis of Sex”
Hosted by A&M Texarkana and PLACE at Cinemark Theatre. Open to members of the community, students, A&M-Texarkana faculty, and staff. Free tickets available but LIMITED seating. You must RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tickets, but you may reserve up to 5 seats.mFor more information, contact Dr. Angie Sikorski, PLACE chair, at email@example.com or visit the PLACE website.
6. Tuesday, Jan. 15
Texarkana Regional Chorale Spring Rehearsals
Music Hall of Stilwell Humanities Building at Texarkana College, 6:30-8:30 p.m. The premiere large choral ensemble of the Ark-La-Tex with participants from a variety of backgrounds; under the leadership of Music Director & Conductor Marc-Andre Bougie and Pianist Mary Scott Goode they performs regularly in a number of regional, national, and international venues (including France in June 2020!) TRC’s repertoire ranges from Classical to Broadway, Gospel, and Patriotic music. Weekly Tuesday rehearsals. Newbies sing a vocal placement audition the night of first rehearsal; e-mail to schedule a time. Tuition $70 per semester. Qualified high school & middle school singers can participate for $10. College credit available through Texarkana College.
7. Thursday, Jan. 17 (and every third Thursday of the month)
Texarkana Jazz Orchestra at Pop’s Place
Come to Pop’s Place for great food and drinks and hear the Texarkana Jazz Orchestra. Pop’s is open Wednesdays through Saturdays, 5-10 p.m.
8. Saturday, Jan. 19
2019 Texarkana Bridal Fair
10 a.m.-3 p.m., Texarkana Convention Center. Townsquare Media Texarkana’s premier bridal event brings together brides-to-be, wedding professionals and bridal fashion experts. FUN and every bride-to-be gets a free Gift Bag and a chance to win the $2,000 Grand Prize. Admission at door $20 or $14 in advance on website. Kids 12 and under free. Learn more.
9. Saturday, Jan. 19
Four States Bandmaster Concert Series
TISD Sullivan Performing Arts Center & John Thomas Theatre, 2 p.m. FREE and the public is invited to attend. Learn more.
10. Enjoy Every Day
Visit the Bobby Ferguson Park where there are 24.16 acres of recreational area including 4.36 acres of water, 2 playgrounds, 2 trails covering 1.4 miles, 1 fishing pier, 19 picnic tables, and 2 pavilions. 3400 U of A Way, Texarkana, AR.